Far Striders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Far Striders

RPG Group

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Journey Continues

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
InspectorRod
"Friday"
The Journey Continues - Page 4 Default2
InspectorRod

The Journey Continues - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Journey Continues   The Journey Continues - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 12:36 am

[ooc: I'm assuming y'all are selling your horses here. Right?]

Ten long days pass before the night of the going away party. You have plenty of time to get all your gear and meet up with Carson several times. The party is a nice event with a lot of Adam's family's friends in attendance. It's quite the event, but it does nothing to distract you from the excitement of continuing your journey.

Saturday, August 28, 1880

You both meet Carson and the train station and purchase your tickets to New York, New York. As y'all board the train y'all begin to discuss your itinerary. Once you get to New York city you know you'll need to purchase tickets to Durban. Also, since Durban is in the Colony of Natal you'll need to exchange your currency to British currency. This isn't exactly a great prospect with the exchange at $5 to 1 pound.

Monday, August 30, 1880

At the port you find the ticket office for the American & African Steamline. You able to purchase tickets and find out it will only take about 17 days. The only downside of the plan is the ship doesn't leave until the 15th of September. Looks like you'll be spending some time in New York city. You take a little time to look at the construction site of the Brooklyn Bridge, after almost ten years of construction it looks like it could be completed in a few more years!

You are able to find a bank to make the money exchange during this time. [ooc: Just let me know how much money you want to convert to British currency]

Also, getting to know Carson you are surprised to find out that he is a well traveled man that also speaks French, Portuguese and Spanish.

Wednesday, September 15, 1880

The day finally arrives when you get to head to the port. After a little bit of time you board the ship and get setup in your cabins. Touring the ship you get to be familiar with all he accommodations. Not exactly the most luxurious liner traveling the ocean but certainly comfortable enough for this trip. A few hours later the horn blows and the steam engines begin moving the ship towards your long awaited destination.

[ooc: I'm sure you will be disappointed to know you've just missed the great blizzard of 1880!]

Saturday, October 2, 1880

After several days of following the South African shoreline the city of Durban finally comes into view. You all three smiles and congratulate each other on finally achieving your goal! British flags fly from several buildings. After a couple of hours the ship is finally settled and your are able to step onto dry land. The city, although a little less green than you are used to, still looks like a normal city. You see a varied mix of Africans and Europeans. The languages are just as mixed and you can hear English, Afrikaans and Zulu spoken.

You go to the Port Authority to take care of all the necessary paperwork you'll need to travel around. One thing you notice is that even though the port official was polite, he also was a bit condescending. Carson and Adam suddenly realize they are now now second-class citizens being American's on foreign soil (to Strange Owl it seems to be the status quo).

[ooc: Everyone gets the "Outsiders" hinderance while in a foreign country. Since Strange Owl already had it nothing changes.]

Everything is set, now all you have to do is find Adam's uncle. Adam fishes out a telegram from his pocket, it was the last message he received from his uncle before leaving Chicago.

Quote :

Find Mandla in front of the library. He will lead you from there. Safe travels!
Back to top Go down
Onegod007
Minion
Minion

PostSubject: Re: The Journey Continues   The Journey Continues - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 9:52 am

(OOC: I am normally unfazed by ppls reaction to what I am wearing or who I am due to my strong sense of heritage and that I am accustomed to being looked at as being different. I only adapt what I wear to situation at hand and what it calls for. I would imagine that I would have learned that from my ancestors and would have learned the westernized adaptations fr Adam as far as rain clothes and heavy clothes for certain cituations)

I find it inwardly amusing at my friends uncomfortableness at being considered different and liken it my own experiences back in the western world.
Back to top Go down
griffonknight
Nameless Sidekick
Nameless Sidekick
griffonknight

PostSubject: Re: The Journey Continues   The Journey Continues - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 5:21 pm

[OOC - I'd probably convert most of my liquid capital to the pound, not knowing when I will be back. If I have any investments I'm sure I'd let my father handle them, for a percentage if he wanted. Unless bank transfers exist trans-continental, then I could obviously transfer it and draw out as needed. Otherwise I'll have to ask my Uncle about a reliable bank.]

"Lets go find this "Mandla"
Back to top Go down
InspectorRod
"Friday"
InspectorRod

PostSubject: Re: The Journey Continues   The Journey Continues - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 07, 2009 10:29 pm

[ooc: You'll have converted your money before you left. How much is up to you. I don't know how much money you have left out of your starting money after equipment.]

You ask for directions to the library from a soldier by the dock. He responds with, "Are you an American?" After answering him, he marvels at you both before sending you down the street and taking a left at the intersection. Continuing to follow his directions you eventually end up at the small building that is the "Library". Actually it's a pub instead of a repository for books. Glancing around you see the traffic here is rather busy with all manner of people... white, black and brown.

Looking at the pub [ooc: both you passed the 'Notice' rolls] you both see a tall black man in native dress watching you curiously from off to the side of the pub. He wears a loin cloth covered with cow fur and a satchel over one shoulder. On his head he wears a black hoop and some teeth on a necklace. He is unarmed, yet still looks like he would be a dangerous man to mess with.
Back to top Go down
griffonknight
Nameless Sidekick
Nameless Sidekick
griffonknight

PostSubject: Re: The Journey Continues   The Journey Continues - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 10:17 am

I approach the intimidating looking man.

"Excuse me, Sir. Do you speak English? I am looking for a man called 'Mandla'."
Back to top Go down
InspectorRod
"Friday"
InspectorRod

PostSubject: Re: The Journey Continues   The Journey Continues - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 6:43 pm

He stares at you for a moment and answers, "Yes, I speak the English. I also know a man or two who might go by the name Mandla. Why are you looking for this man?"

[Strange Owl]
You can tell the man is hiding something or maybe only speaking in half-truths.
[ooc: You detected this with a successful Notice roll]
Back to top Go down
Onegod007
Minion
Minion

PostSubject: Re: The Journey Continues   The Journey Continues - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 11:12 am

I lean over to Adam and tell him ,whispering in balckfoot, that I think he is only telling half of the truth or not telling us the truth at all.
Back to top Go down
griffonknight
Nameless Sidekick
Nameless Sidekick
griffonknight

PostSubject: Re: The Journey Continues   The Journey Continues - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 11:49 am

[ooc: I suspect perhaps I am speaking to Mandla, but just in case it is a ruse, I do not tell him who would be sending Mandla to wait for us, or who we are.]

"This man was to meet us here. I assume he will know us when he sees us. Thank you for your time."

I go look for a drink.
Back to top Go down
InspectorRod
"Friday"
InspectorRod

PostSubject: Re: The Journey Continues   The Journey Continues - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 4:10 pm

"Wait, wait, please. Is your name Adam Percy?" he asks.
Back to top Go down
griffonknight
Nameless Sidekick
Nameless Sidekick
griffonknight

PostSubject: Re: The Journey Continues   The Journey Continues - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 4:14 pm

"Yes, it is. Mandla, I presume?" I hold out my right hand to shake hands.
Back to top Go down
InspectorRod
"Friday"
InspectorRod

PostSubject: Re: The Journey Continues   The Journey Continues - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 4:22 pm

He politely declines to shake your hand and says, "You are just like your uncle, Bwana Dan." He glances around looking almost conspiratorially and then whispers to you. "It doesn't sit well with the people to be too friendly with the black people," he says. "I'd be happy to shake your hand back at the lodge though. Shall we go to it?"
Back to top Go down
griffonknight
Nameless Sidekick
Nameless Sidekick
griffonknight

PostSubject: Re: The Journey Continues   The Journey Continues - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 9:04 pm

"My apologies. Lead the way."
Back to top Go down
InspectorRod
"Friday"
InspectorRod

PostSubject: Re: The Journey Continues   The Journey Continues - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 12:07 am

He leads you both along the road dodging past carts and merchant traffic. You both notice [ooc: both of you succeeded your notice rolls] that he seems to be constantly scanning the crowd and buildings to see who, if anyone, might be taking an interest in you all. As he leads you both along the road he asks, "How long you been in Africa?"
Back to top Go down
griffonknight
Nameless Sidekick
Nameless Sidekick
griffonknight

PostSubject: Re: The Journey Continues   The Journey Continues - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 12:28 pm

"We have only just arrived, I imagine the steamship still sits at dock unloading."
Back to top Go down
InspectorRod
"Friday"
InspectorRod

PostSubject: Re: The Journey Continues   The Journey Continues - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 1:55 pm

Mandla looks at Adam and gives him a big grin and responds, "Probably so." It's one of those types of grins that makes the face and the thoughts behind the grin indecipherable.

The road turns north and you continue walking through the city. Most buildings are made of wood, although there are some more solid looking stone structures here and there. As you near the edge of town he points to a two story wood building and states, "Us are here."

A shaggy beared white man in his late to mid 50's sits on a bench in front of the building. He eyes you both and gives Adam a nod while Mandla leads you both through the front door. You both enter the building and it reminds you of a bar... without people. The front area is rather large and has 5 round tables. He tables has 5 chairs around it. He leads you both up the bar (which is unattended and contains very few bottles). "You can put your things here if you would like. I will go find Bwana Dan."

He walks into a backroom and you hear a knock on a door. A few seconds later you can make out the sounds of a hushed conversation. Finally a tall, clean-shaven white man that looks to be in his mid to late 40's enters the room. He immediately smiles when he sees Adam and approaches him with open arms. "Adam, my boy, good to see you! How was the trip?" he asks.
Back to top Go down
griffonknight
Nameless Sidekick
Nameless Sidekick
griffonknight

PostSubject: Re: The Journey Continues   The Journey Continues - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 11:54 am

"It is truly good to see you uncle. The trip went as well as can be expected. I hope all ocean voyages are not so rough, or I will never develop a taste for it. I prefer a good horse or even a train. But we are finally here. These are my friends Carson, and Strange Owl."
Back to top Go down
InspectorRod
"Friday"
InspectorRod

PostSubject: Re: The Journey Continues   The Journey Continues - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 2:47 pm

"Well, sea travel isn't for everyone. I kind of miss the old days of sailing myself, but these steamers do get you were you are going faster. They just kind of lose the romance of it all with all this new technology. Anyway, enough of my rambling," he says.

He smiles at Carson and extends a hand. They both shakes hands heartly and you get the impression they've known each other for years. "How are ya Carson?" asks Dan.

"Doing well sir, good to see you," responds Carson. Carson reaches into his jacket pocket and hands Dan something folded carefully in a handkerchef. "I believe you are expecting these," Carson says.

Dan responds as he takes the goods without opening it. He places it in his jacket pocket and answers Carson, "Yes, yes indeed. Thank you. How was the 'Ancient'?"

"Doing well. Still full of that dry wit and a bit cantankerous as usual," Carson says with a chuckle.

Dan chuckles as well, and then turns his attention back to Adam and Strange Owl. He says, "Please forgive us. We've known each other for years." Looking at Strange Owl, he says, "Strange Owl, it's a pleasure to meet you. Any friend of Adam is a friend of mine."

"Now gentlemen, you've caught me at a rather awkward time to be a good host. We're about to set out tomorrow morning for a little expedition tomorrow and we're making the final preparations this evening. You're welcome to join us if you'd like. Otherwise I'm afraid you'll be on your own for a few days," Dan says.
Back to top Go down
Onegod007
Minion
Minion

PostSubject: Re: The Journey Continues   The Journey Continues - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 12:05 pm

"It is good to meet you. I háček heard a lot about you." I am looking around in amazement if how nice this place is.
Back to top Go down
griffonknight
Nameless Sidekick
Nameless Sidekick
griffonknight

PostSubject: Re: The Journey Continues   The Journey Continues - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 12:51 pm

"I believe I can speak for my companions in saying we would be interested in accompanying you, if you think it would be of interest to us. Is there anything we need to get for the expedition?"
Back to top Go down
InspectorRod
"Friday"
InspectorRod

PostSubject: Re: The Journey Continues   The Journey Continues - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 4:08 pm

"Well, then it's settled. I look forward to having you both join us," he says with a smile. "Mandla, please show them to the empty rooms upstairs. Carson and I have a little catching up to do. I also need to make sure we have provisions added for you all and extra horses. You won't need to provide anything yourself except whatever armaments you prefer to carry. I'll see you both again at dinner," he says. He and Carson wander off outside talking as they leave. The conversation just seems to be them catching up on events since they last saw each other.

Mandla speaks to refocus your attention to him, "Please follow me upstairs and I'll show you some rooms." He leads you both up some stairs connected to the main room. You pass several doors before he stops at one and says, "This one is empty. And so is dis one." He points to the next door down the hall. "I see you later," he says and then heads back down the hallway to the stairs.
Back to top Go down
griffonknight
Nameless Sidekick
Nameless Sidekick
griffonknight

PostSubject: Re: The Journey Continues   The Journey Continues - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 9:29 am

"Well, I for one would like to rest up some... didn't sleep especially well on that voyage. Glad you could come along on this trip." Adam nods to Strange Owl and heads into his room carrying his gear, to rest until dinner.
Back to top Go down
Onegod007
Minion
Minion

PostSubject: Re: The Journey Continues   The Journey Continues - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 3:52 pm

"Me too friend. " I go in my room and rest up as well. Been a long journey and will need my strength for the upcoming expedition.
Back to top Go down
InspectorRod
"Friday"
InspectorRod

PostSubject: Re: The Journey Continues   The Journey Continues - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 8:47 pm

You both go into your rooms and find them to be comfortable. You're able to take a couple hours of rest before you are aroused by a knock at each door and Mandla's voice telling you that dinner is ready. You both freshen up and head down the stairs to find the main room filled with more people than before. All are gathered into groups talking. A long table has been set and looks like it will hold all the people in the room. There 7 people other than yourselves.

All look up as you head down the stairs. Dan Percy waves at you both and approaches the stairs to meet you both. He gets the groups attention (some of which you recognize now) and announces, "Gentlemen, let me introduce to you my nephew Adam Percy, who just recently completed his service in the US Cavalry. Also, I would like to introduce Strange Owl of the Blackfoot people."

As you both reach the bottom of the stairs Dan says, "Let me introduce you to my esteemed colleges." You both approach the first man, a face very familiar now. "I believe you have met Mandla, a brave warrior of the Zulu tribe and one of our accomplished guides. He's also a proud father of many sons."

Mandla shakes each of your hands and to Adam he says, "Now I can freely shake your hand," and gives you a grin.

There are two other Africans you are introduced to. Ingwe is Mandla's oldest son and looks to be a stronger and fitter version of his father. The other African is Paki, and he is also a guide, but of the Xhosa tribe. Paki excuses himself after meeting you and heads out the front door.

"You both already know Carson, so I'll pass the introductions to our two Boers friends. The older gentlemen is Petrus Reese," says Dan. He nods to you and you both recognize him as the man who was sitting on the front porch when you arrived earlier today.

"And then this is Gerald Sayer," Dan says and he introduces you to a man who appears to be in his late 30's.

Small talk starts back up but is suddenly interrupted by a middle-aged woman bringing in a serving bowl and saying in a gravely voice, "Alright gentlemen, take your seats. Dinner is ready." A couple of younger black women bring in more trays of food.

As you all takes seats around the table Dan takes a position at the head of the table. Everyone remains standing and he says, "Tomorrow men, we begin the hunt. Enjoy a fine meal and a good nights sleep. It may be a little while before we enjoy such luxuries again!"

Although curiosity about what you'll be doing over the next few days pulls at your mind neither are ever successful in directing any conversations into the object of this expedition. Eventually everyone heads to bed and you get a do likewise. You both sleep better than you have in a very long time.

[ooc: You both have earned 2 experience points]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Journey Continues   The Journey Continues - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Journey Continues
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Far Striders :: Victorian Adventures :: Tales of Adventure-
Jump to: