Far Striders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Far Striders

RPG Group

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Letter

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
InspectorRod
"Friday"
The Letter Default2
InspectorRod

The Letter Empty
PostSubject: The Letter   The Letter EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 9:52 pm

July 12, 1880

It's a Monday like any other Monday in July. A little too warm to be comfortable in dress uniform, but that just seems to be how life is in Montana in the Summer. Why the Captain wants to do a full troop inspections in the unbearable heat of the afternoon has always been a mystery to his troops. Adam goes to his quarters to clean up a bit before heading to the officers' mess. He opens the door to find his mail placed neatly on the table by the door. One envelope in particular catches his eye as it's slightly browned and looks worn from a lot of travel. Adam picks it up and reads the return address curiously. It's from his Uncle Dan! He opens it and reads the contents quickly. Filled with a suddenly rush of emotion he reads it again more slowly...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
March 7, 1880

Dear Adam,

Greetings dear nephew. I do hope this letter finds you well and in good spirits. Life in Africa is grand and exciting. It is a truly marvelous place. There are so many things to see that I in trying to describe them to you mere words will surely fail to describe their beauty.

Just yesterday, I saw a caravan of …

...and the Zulu warrior is truly a fierce and fascinating person...

...the lion had the man by his arm before I dropped it with a well aimed shot...

… I think you would love it here. This is why I’m writing you this letter. I’ve seen it in your eyes, and no doubt your father has noticed it too. You have the adventurer’s spirit. Come to Africa. I could use the help of someone that I can trust totally. There is so much we could do here. So many enterprises.

Don’t fret about your father. He’ll probably give a hundred and one reasons of why this is a bad idea, but he’s always known you were not one to sit idling behind a desk. He’ll give in once he knows your heart is into it.

I do hope you will consider this offer to join me. If not, I will think nothing less of you. If, on the other hand, you do decide to join me here in Durban, be sure to send a telegraph so I’ll know you are coming and begin preparations for your arrival.

Give my love to your mother and father.

Sincerely,
Uncle Dan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking at the date, it has taken this letter over two months to arrive at his quarters.

[Notes]
Bennies:
Adam (3)
Strange Owl (3)

Last edited by InspectorRod on Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
griffonknight
Nameless Sidekick
Nameless Sidekick
griffonknight

The Letter Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Letter   The Letter EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 12:57 pm

Africa. The thought that had always been in the back of my head, but never spoken out loud. I grab up my mail and head over to the mess, deep in thought. As I cross the compound I keep my eye out for Strange Owl. We had always traded stories, me retelling the stories of my uncle and those I had read about the dark continent, and he of his people, before they signed the treaty of lame bull. He will certainly be interested in this.

I know I should give it more thought, and I can already hear what my father will say, him sitting back home with a waiting bank internship for me, but I'm already planning out what I'll need, and scouring the letter for more information.

Last edited by griffonknight on Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
InspectorRod
"Friday"
The Letter Default2
InspectorRod

The Letter Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Letter   The Letter EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 1:14 pm

Adam heads out of his quarters. As he heads out across the parade grounds he sees his friend Strange Owl standing in a short line in front of the Paymaster's office.
Back to top Go down
Onegod007
Minion
Minion

The Letter Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Letter   The Letter EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 5:21 pm

While standing in line, I recall some stories from the elders about hunting parties and the thrill of the hunt. How I long for something more than just being a scout and staying in the same place. I long to be free and roam to where the buffalo go with my people. Instead, I stand waiting to get paid by the people who put us here and wiped out all of the buffalo.

Adam always speaks about this strange place called Africa. How there are adventures untold and forbidden places that have never been explored. Beasts of legends never before seen by the eye and more deadly than the largest bear or wolf. That sounds like a place where counting coup is around every turn. Why, the very journey of going will be a memory I will cherish for all time and will never be forgotten.

There is not much counting coup happening these days. It has been many a moon since I have remembered my last counting coup. I joined the scout party in hopes that there would be something out there that I might test my courage and show what a proud blackfoot I am.

I think I will take my pay and go and find Adam so he can tell me the stories of Africa again.
Back to top Go down
InspectorRod
"Friday"
The Letter Default2
InspectorRod

The Letter Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Letter   The Letter EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 6:38 pm

[Strange Owl]
You see your friend Adam making his way toward you across the parade ground. He seems deep in thought. "NEXT!" you hear a voice shout, and turn back towards the window. After a brief discussion the pay officer hands you $8. "NEXT!" he yells and looks at the next person over your shoulder.

[OOC: Not sure what a good salary is during this time. According to the vague sources I found a soldier in 1880 was making $13 a month (this was a time of military downsizing). As a non-active military "hire-on" I assumed you would make a little less (ignoring race as a factor) ]
Back to top Go down
Onegod007
Minion
Minion

The Letter Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Letter   The Letter EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 8:43 pm

(OOC - That seems fair to me.)

I take my money and make my way over to Adamn. "How are things going Adam? Something on your mind?" I tuck my money in an old Blackfoot pouch handed down to my from my father.
Back to top Go down
griffonknight
Nameless Sidekick
Nameless Sidekick
griffonknight

The Letter Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Letter   The Letter EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 7:45 am

"Hello strange owl. I trust things are well. I was just looking for you." I shuffle the mail around so that I can shake hands. " I just received the most unusual and unexpected letter, and I thought you might find its contents interesting."

[OOC - I quickly summarize the letters contents for my unlettered friend]

"I believe I shall go. I have always wanted to see what adventure there was to be found in that strange land, and if I don't go now, perhaps all of the excitement will pass me by. I'm sure I could use a good scout, whatever I find over there, if you are interested. Maybe if you see some of those strange creatures first hand you'll believe I'm not just making them up."
Back to top Go down
Onegod007
Minion
Minion

The Letter Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Letter   The Letter EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 9:25 am

My heart races and I am instantly thrown back into a memory of one of my first hunts. The excitement of the hunt and getting my first kill. "That seems like the adventure that my spirit has been longing for. When are you leaving? I must tell my elders and receive their blessing before I go."
Back to top Go down
InspectorRod
"Friday"
The Letter Default2
InspectorRod

The Letter Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Letter   The Letter EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 9:55 am

Your conversation is interrupted by a bugle call. While "Taps" is blown, every soldier in the Fort turns to face the direction of the flag and salutes. Since you are both near the parade ground you can see the color guard lower the flag while the bugler finishes his call. This signals the end of the day. You both resume your conversation while the color guard folds the flag in the background.
Back to top Go down
griffonknight
Nameless Sidekick
Nameless Sidekick
griffonknight

The Letter Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Letter   The Letter EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 1:39 pm

"Honestly, I'm not sure yet. I need to speak to my folks, and I'm sure my father will have some opinion about it. My tour ends in two weeks, and I plan to head back to Chicago then, if you want to come with. I plan to ride for missoula and catch a train there to chicago."
Back to top Go down
Onegod007
Minion
Minion

The Letter Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Letter   The Letter EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 1:53 pm

I leave Adam saying good day and go to have a letter transcribed and sent to the elders of my tribe up North. I basically tell them that I am going a spiritual journey into the vast unknown this a land called Africa where my friend is going and will be looking for many counting coup to come back and tell the tribe about.

After I have finished the letter and mail it on its way, I find Adam and tell him I will go with him on his journey.
Back to top Go down
InspectorRod
"Friday"
The Letter Default2
InspectorRod

The Letter Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Letter   The Letter EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 2:52 pm

The two of you discuss the future and ponder what your future has in store for you. Slowly the sun falls below the horizon while the sky slowly darkens with it's descent. You both release that one chapter of your life is closing and a new one is about to begin.

[OOC: During the next two weeks you'll have plenty of time to make any trip preparations before heading out to Missoula. Also, there is a telegraph here at Fort Shaw if you want to send any messages. So, if there is anything either of you want to do in those two weeks just let me know.]

[Strange Owl: You know plenty of people who can pass the message on to your Elders if you don't want to have to go to the trouble of having a message transcribed. Verbal messages are really reliable.]
Back to top Go down
Onegod007
Minion
Minion

The Letter Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Letter   The Letter EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 3:03 pm

(OOC - that will work for me. I think I just want to see if Adam want to do any extra side jobs to hone skills and earn a little extra money for the trip)
Back to top Go down
griffonknight
Nameless Sidekick
Nameless Sidekick
griffonknight

The Letter Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Letter   The Letter EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 3:38 pm

[OOC - I got a job, thanks :p I'm just going to finish out my tour as best I can, send a telegraph to my parents to tell them I'll be heading home soon... no mention of the trip though, I'd rather work that out face to face. Do I have a horse?]
Back to top Go down
InspectorRod
"Friday"
The Letter Default2
InspectorRod

The Letter Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Letter   The Letter EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 3:47 pm

[OOC: Yep, you both have horses.]
Back to top Go down
InspectorRod
"Friday"
The Letter Default2
InspectorRod

The Letter Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Letter   The Letter EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 10:57 pm

During the two weeks you both have had plenty of time to make your plans. The closest train station you can get to is in Fort Hall, Idaho. So together you both map a route that will take you from Fort Shaw to Helena, from Helena to Butte City. From Butte City you can cross over the mountains to get to Idaho Falls which is just North of Fort Hall. The trip is about 389 miles and with the horses hopefully getting around 35 miles per day in the rough terrain, you should complete the trip in 12 days... or at least that's the plan!

Thursday, July 29, 1880.
After a few days travel you arrived in Helena. The town news basically consists of talk about the upcoming Presidential Election and the two candidates; James Garfield and Winfield Hancock. Both men are Civil War veterans.

Saturday, July 31, 1880.
You arrive in Butte City, Montana. The heat has been bad during the day, but at nights its been cold in the mountains. It was nice to stay at an inn for an evening. Elections are still in the forefront of conversation. Once a conversation revolves around Edison's electric lamp. You look forward to heading East to be able to see this wonder that has yet to make it's way out West.

Tuesday, August 3, 1880.
You follow the trail into the small town of Bannack. There's not much to describe this town and the town folk are not too friendly. You both kind of keep to yourselves.

[Strange Owl]
While eating dinner you notice that a couple of seedy looking men have taken an interest in you and Adam. They don't appear to be moving towards any serious action. (You 'Aced' you Notice roll for a total of 7!)
[Adam]
You are oblivious to their attention, but it's not worth taking a benny at this time.

Wednesday, August 4, 1880.
Both of you pack your bags and head out of town after breakfast. As the town of Bannack disappears behind you, you both notice that you are being followed by 3 men on horseback. They're trying not to be obvious, but you both notice them pretty quickly.
(both of you aced your 'wild dice' for totals of Adam: 11 and SO: 8 on the Notice roll).
Back to top Go down
Onegod007
Minion
Minion

The Letter Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Letter   The Letter EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 9:26 am

I suggest to Adam that we keep notice of them but try to keep our paces the same so that they dont gain and its not obvious that we notice them yet. I tell him that if they rush us I will confront one on one and he can take out any that look like they are going to take aim at us from afar.

(OOC: How do I wear my axes? Do I put them on the side of the horse or do I have some kind of back harness? Are there ready actions? Can I be ready to pull my axe if on the horse and pull the other when I get off of the horse?)
Back to top Go down
InspectorRod
"Friday"
The Letter Default2
InspectorRod

The Letter Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Letter   The Letter EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 9:56 am

[OOC: However you want to wear your axes is up to you. I would assume for long travel you would tire pretty quickly of having them strapped to your back, but that's up to you. Once, or IF, combat starts there are ready action and hold actions. This evening when I get home I'll post a list of options for combat in another thread for ya. Don't have my book here at the moment.]
Back to top Go down
griffonknight
Nameless Sidekick
Nameless Sidekick
griffonknight

The Letter Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Letter   The Letter EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 10:15 am

[OOC - I'm going to start looking for some cover. A place where we can stop and find out what these men want from a safe vantage. I normally carry my winchester in a saddle holster close at hand, and the sharps wrapped up with the bedroll. Peacemaker is in a belt holster. Having noticed the men watching us, I carried my winchester across my saddle as a precaution.]
Back to top Go down
InspectorRod
"Friday"
The Letter Default2
InspectorRod

The Letter Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Letter   The Letter EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 11:16 am

[Adam]
For the moment the men seem to be keeping their distance. Looking around, you can see plenty of cover. You are currently traveling down a trail and goes through mountains. Plenty of trees and plenty of rocky places.
Back to top Go down
griffonknight
Nameless Sidekick
Nameless Sidekick
griffonknight

The Letter Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Letter   The Letter EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 12:43 pm

"Follow my lead, Strange Owl" I say quietly.

I find a good patch of cover and move my horse over to it, quickly dismount and train my winchester on the approaching men.

"Hold up fellas. I'd much appreciate you choosing some other route to follow, cause I'm a bit twitchy when it comes to strangers out here." I shout back at them.

[OOC - If I think I have time I might choose to use my sharps, depending on the range. If they continue to approach, I fire off a warning shot. ]
Back to top Go down
Onegod007
Minion
Minion

The Letter Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Letter   The Letter EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 1:04 pm

I am going to find cover and then try to move silently along the various cover to try and get to a side position or ever behind them with my axes while Adam negotiates with them.
Back to top Go down
InspectorRod
"Friday"
The Letter Default2
InspectorRod

The Letter Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Letter   The Letter EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 1:25 pm

They are too far back for you to yell enough to be coherent to them. It would seem they know the area well enough that they can stay just far enough away to follow you without getting too close. As you both get into cover and look at them, they are likewise moving off into the treeline off the road. They seem to have drawn rifles from their horses saddles. The rifle range is a bit far to be accurate.

Time passes and they don't seem to be making any moves toward you, but instead seem to stay where they are. Although you can't really make out their positions too well since they are in cover.
Back to top Go down
griffonknight
Nameless Sidekick
Nameless Sidekick
griffonknight

The Letter Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Letter   The Letter EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 1:46 pm

[OCC - how about with the sharps? I'm not sure what 10d shooting represents in real life, but the sharps is accurate out to 900 yds, with many historically documented shots at greater range. I just used the stats from pulp because they were better than the ones in deadlands reloaded, but they are still inaccurate.]
Back to top Go down
InspectorRod
"Friday"
The Letter Default2
InspectorRod

The Letter Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Letter   The Letter EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 2:10 pm

[OOC: Well, the Sharps definately has the range if you can get one to stand in the open so you'll have a clear shot.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Letter Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Letter   The Letter Empty

Back to top Go down

The Letter
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Far Striders :: Victorian Adventures :: Tales of Adventure-
Jump to: